Acrylic (PMMA) is a transparent thermoplastic material with outstanding strength, stiffness, and optical clarity. Acrylic sheet is easy to fabricate, bonds well with adhesives and solvents, and is easy to thermoform. It has superior weathering properties compared to other transparent plastics. Acrylic sheet exhibits glass-like qualities – clarity, brilliance, and transparency – but at half the weight and many times the impact resistance of glass. It also comes in a wide variety of colors, finishes, and textures. From durable signs and skylights to eye-catching retail store fixtures, displays, and shelves, acrylic provides outstanding versatility, durability, and aesthetic qualities.
Acrylic Material Options
- Extruded vs. Cast Acrylic – Extruded acrylic is the easiest grade of acrylic to thermoform and bond and is cheaper than most cast acrylic. Cast acrylic sheet has better chemical resistance, superior machining characteristics, and often greater optical clarity. Both types come in a variety of sheet sizes, colors, and finishes, but cast acrylic typically has greater versatility, such as UV-resistant, impact-modified, and mirrored grades.
- Acrylic for Architectural Applications– Acrylic’s clarity, light weight, impact resistance, and weather resistance make it a popular choice for architectural applications. Some examples include windows, wall partitions, lighting fixtures, and canopies. Acrylic is naturally UV- and weather-resistant but sheeting with additional UV protection and mar-resistant coatings are available.
- Acrylic for Transportation Applications– Acrylic is used throughout the transportation industry for instrument panels, windows, windshields, and mirrors.
- FDA Compliant Acrylic– Acrylic is available in FDA-compliant grades.
- Acrylic Rod and Tube– Acrylic rod and tube are available in a wide range of sizes in both cast and extruded grades.
- Cut-to-Size Acrylic Sheet– Acrylic is available in a variety of sizes, including “cut-to-size” sheet options. Optimize your order with us to save time, eliminate scrap, improve productivity, and reduce wear and tear on your equipment.
Industry trade names: ACRYLITE, AZCRYLE, CHEMCAST, OPTIX, PLEXIGLAS, POLYCAST
- Indoor and outdoor signs
- POP displays and exhibits
- Architectural glazing and skylights
- LED diffusing lighting panels
- Transportation – aircraft, boats, mass transit, and vehicles
- Shelves, brochure holders, and retail fixtures
- Transparent manifolds
- Strong, stiff, optically clear
- Easy to fabricate, machine, and thermoform
- Easy to solvent bond
- Good dimensional stability
- Good weatherability
Acrylic Properties Chart
|Flexural Modulus||10^5 psi||D790||4.5|
|Impact Strength, Izod||ft-lbs/in of notch||D256||0.4|
|Heat deflection temperature @ 264 psi||°F||D648||198|
|Coefficient of thermal expansion||10^5 in/in-℃||D696||3.6|
|Water absorption (1/8” thick, 24 hours)||%||D570||0.3|
Values may vary. Please ask your Erie Industrial Plastics representative for more specific information.